Re: Romans 8:28

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Thu Aug 13 1998 - 00:23:04 EDT

Kevin Mullins wrote;

>I have sniped the previous (many) responses and questions to this post and
>would like to ask another question concerning EIS + accusative:
>
>SYNERGIE {hO QEOS} EIS AGAQON.
>
>Does EIS AGAQON refer work as a final clause or a result?

We've just dealt with the function of EIS + accusative in another
connection. The article on EIS in BAGD gives very good examples for the
basic functions plus some that are primarily Hellenistic. The basic
concept of the use of EIS + accusative is movement or extension to or
toward. The two most common functions then are to show extension through
space and time. Metaphorically it shows movement toward a goal or purpose.
Clearly in Rom 8:28, it is toward a goal or purpose, i.e., toward the good.
In any language the distinguishing between purpose (or goal) and result is
difficult. I have always tried to do this by looking at intent. If the
intention of the actor is to reach a specific goal, it is purpose. Clearly
Paul conceives that God is helping "those who love God" for good.
Sometimes the use of EIS (in the Koine period) is reduced almost to mere
reference or to location at a place without indicating movement much like
EN + dative (locative) or maybe even EPI + dative. Generally though EIS +
the accusative would mean something like "he went into the city" (movement
into) and EN + dative, "he was in the city" (location).

Hope this helps, but read the article in BAGD.

Carlton L. Winbery
Fogleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College
Pineville, LA 71359