Re: Holy Spirit - "He" or "it?"

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Wed Aug 19 1998 - 09:29:17 EDT

At 09:40 AM 8/19/98 -0700, you wrote:
>In Greek, John 16:13a says: "hOTAN DE ELQHi EKEINOS, TO PNEUMA THS
ALHQEIAS...," which is translates "When He (or that One), the Spirit of
truth, comes..."

>Others say that the EKEINOS in this verse is not referring to the
appositive PNEUMA, but its supposed antecedent PARAKLHTOS (Counselor, a
masculine word) from verse 7. Hence, no theological statement is made; John
would just be conforming to the rules of Greek grammar.

This is the correct reading of the verse.

>So my question is: does EKEINOS refer to the PNEUMA of verse 13 (which
would be theologically significant) or the PARAKLHTOS of verse 7 (which
would be grammatically correct)?

to paraklhtos.

best,

jim