Re: Matthew 1.1

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 27 1998 - 17:17:09 EDT

At 3:11 PM -0500 8/27/98, Christian Naaktgeboren wrote:
> I'm a brazilian begginer student of greek, I'm learning greek "by
>myself" and, of course, with the help of God. This is the first time I
>ask for help to other people.
>
> The beggining of the gospel of Matthew is: BIBLOS GENESEWS IHSOU
>XRISTOU UIOU DAUID UIOU ABRAAM. The words IHSOU, XRISTOU, UIOU and maybe
>DAUID and ABRAAM (indeclinable hebrew words) are in the genitive case.
>It seems to me like: "Book of generation of(Jesus Christ Son of David
>Son of Abraham)".
>
> My doubts are:
>
> * It is possible to give to Jesus the name (or title):
>"Jesus-Christ-Son-of-David-Son-of-Abraham"?

Yes, because (as Mt proceeds to demonstrate, Jesus is a descendant of both
of these.

> * What's the diference between BIBLOS GENESEWS IHSOU XRISTOU UIOU
>DAUID UIOU ABRAAM and BIBLOS GENESEWS IHSOU XRISTOU UIOS TOU DAUID UIOS
>ABRAAM ? (I made this 2nd phrase).

The problem here would be that your UIOS TOU DAUID and UIOS ABRAAM are
nominative phrases, and what is called for here is something that is
appositive to IHSOU CRISTOU; otherwise your phrase would be in apposition
to BIBLOS: you don't want to say, "the book, son of xxx."