DUO DUO, SUMPOSIA SUMPOSIA, PRASIAI PRASIAI...

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Sun Aug 30 1998 - 08:51:39 EDT

In Mark 6:7 we see DUO DUO, in 6:39 we see SUMPOSIA SUMPOSIA, in 6:40 we
see PRASIAI PRASIAI. Is it accurate to think of this as laying out the
nouns spatially, or in "Old Macdonald" fashion, "here a two, there a two",
"here an eating party, there an eating party", "here a clump, there a clump"?

Also, what kind of language is this? One source I have says it is a
semiticism, but when I look at the language in Mark 6:38-6:40, this feels
like storyteller's language, with strong oral rhythms and plenty of rhyme:

hO DE LEGEI AUTOIS

        POSOUS ARTOUS ECETE;
        hUPAGETE IDETE
        KAI GNONTES LEGOUSIN, PENTE
        KAI DUO IXQUAS

KAI EPETAXEN AUTOIS ANAKLINAI

        SUMPOSIA SUMPOSIA
        EPI TWi XLWRWi XORTWi

KAI ANEPESAN

        PRASIAI PRASIAI
        KATA hEKATON KAI KATA PENTHKONTA

KAI LABWN TOUS PENTE ARTOUS
      KAI TOUS DUO ICQUAS

KTL

Is the repeated noun a form used primarily for the sake of rhythm? And is
it really laying things out spatially, as I have guessed?

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine
Little Greek 101: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine/greek/lessons