Re: DUO DUO, SUMPOSIA SUMPOSIA, PRASIAI PRASIAI...

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Sun Aug 30 1998 - 17:53:32 EDT

On Sun 30 Aug 98 (08:51:39), jonathan@texcel.no wrote:
> In Mark 6:7 we see DUO DUO, in 6:39 we see SUMPOSIA SUMPOSIA, in 6:40 we
> see PRASIAI PRASIAI. Is it accurate to think of this as laying out the
> nouns spatially, or in "Old Macdonald" fashion, "here a two, there a
> two", "here an eating party, there an eating party", "here a clump,
> there a clump"?
 [snip]

 Dear Jonathan,

 Carl has anwered; but if I may I would like to add that the most obvious
 parallel to DUO DUO is in Exodus 6:20 LXX: the animals are to go into the
 ark DUO DUO. And in 7:2 we have, for the clean animals, hEPTA hEPTA.

 As for SUMPOSIA SUMPOSIA... PRASIAI PRASIAI compare the LXX of Isaiah 28:10
 and 13,

 QLIYIN EPI QLIYIN PROSDECOU, QaW WaQaW QaW WaQaW
 ELPIDA EP' ELPIDI TsaW WaTsaW TsaW WaTsaW
 ETI MIKRON, ETI MIKRON ktl We`eR ShaM We`eR ShaM '''

 The audience is complaining that Isaiah is treating them as children,
 telling them "kindergarten stuff". In the Hebrew it reads just like the
 class repeating each clause after Sir, as in the synagogue Kindergarten
 class, learning by rote. BTW, the LXX is not an accurate rendition of the
 Hebrew at all! QaW=QLIYIN? TsaW=ELPIS? hardly... [Q=Hebrew QoPh, Greek
 Theta; W=Hebrew Waw, Greek Omega].

 But I like your "Old MacDonald had a farm" analogy! Kids' stuff too!

--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF
 <ben.crick@argonet.co.uk>