Re: TH FWNH in Acts 14:10a

From: Byron P. Knutson (byronk@open.org)
Date: Wed Sep 09 1998 - 04:17:54 EDT

Subject: Re: TH FWNH in Acts 14:10a
From: "Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 14:18:11 -0500

At 2:05 PM -0500 9/8/98, clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:
>In Acts 14:10a NA27 reads EIPEN MEGALH FWNH, some manuscripts insert TH
before
>FWNH. If I understand this correctly, the insertion of TH would change
MEGALH
>from an attributive to a predicate adjective.
>
>Alford makes the cryptic comment that TH was omitted by scribes who didn't
>understand it's significance. I must admit that I am with the scribes here
>because for me the insertion of TH introduces nothing but problems. Could
>someone explain the syntax of this verse given TH FWNH as the accepted
>reading?

 " In this instance I don't know that MEGALHi being predicative would be
so
terrible: "... spoke with his voice (being) loud."--i.e. NOT in his normal
tone, but much louder.

It's not that the article is required (he said loudly); but it seems to me
that THi FWNHi MEGALHi is the more forceful.

Carl W. Conrad"

Friends, I submit my humble opinion in this matter.

It seems to me that I heard way back in college Greek class that the most
emphatic position would be the first word put forth in any given phrase, or
something like that and similarly, anything out of the ordinary order to
call attention to it. At any rate "HE SAID GREAT THE VOICE ..." puts the
stress on great or loud which in the next verse makes sense because he was
in a loud and noisy crowd and the purpose of his miracle was to attract
attention. It seems he could best accomplish his purpose with a voice whose
outstanding quality was that of being LOUD. I would think the article was
also used to particularize the fact that he did use his voice in addition to
the miracle to get attention.

Respectfully,
Byron Knutson