1 Cor 11:16 TOIAUTHN SUNHQEIAN

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Wed Sep 09 1998 - 20:14:09 EDT

1 Cor 11:16 EI DE TIS DOKEI FILONEIKOS EINAI, hHMEIS TOIAUTHN SUNHQEIAN OUK
ECOMEN OUDE hAI EKKLHSIAI TOU QEOU ("but if anyone chooses to be
contentious, we do not have such a custom, nor do the churches of God")

In context, I'm not sure what TOIAUTHN SUNHQEIAN refers to. If TOIAUTHN
SUNHQEIAN refers to the practice of praying with the head uncovered, this
might mean "if you want to make something of it, let's get this straight:
we just don't do that". That's the interpretation I grew up with.

The notes in "The Word in Life Study Bible" suggest another possible
interpretation, roughly "but if someone wants to make a fuss about this,
look, neither we nor the churches really have a policy on this". How
plausible is this interpretation? Can it really mean this?

Jonathan

jonathan@texcel.no
Texcel Research
http://www.texcel.no