Re: reading for vocabulary

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Tue Sep 08 1998 - 08:43:44 EDT

At 12:08 AM 9/8/98 -0700, you wrote:

>My pet peeve about the introductory textbooks to which I have been exposed [in
>both Hebrew and Greek] is that they *do not provide* enough reading for
>vocabulary to become fixed in my creaking old engrams. If I wander out to BHS
>or the Greek NT, I find myself looking up every other word, and puzzling about
>constructions to the detriment of finding the sense of the verse.

Thats ok- I mean its ok if you have to look up every other word. Thats how
you learn. If you keep it up, pretty soon you wont have to look em up cuse
you will know them. Did anyone, by the way, get a set of vocabulary flash
cards when they were born and began the process of lerning their mother
tongue? I dont think so. Instead, we learned words because we heard them
over and over. the reason, frankly, that many leanr Greek or Hebrew and
then fail to use it once out of school is because they learn it the wrong
way- and thus not at all.

>Has anyone any experience with Mounce's _Graded_Reader_ [or any other graded
>reader for NT Greek] and if so, how was it?

Nope.

>Janie

Best,

Jim