Acts 7:59

From: Theodore H. Mann (thmann@juno.com)
Date: Mon Sep 28 1998 - 17:39:16 EDT

Greetings All:

I have a novice-type matter to place before you concerning Acts 7:59.

Can KAI ELIQOBOLOUN TOV STEFANON EPIKALOUMENON. . . be taken to mean
that Stephen was a "calling-upon-Stephen," while he was being stoned?
I'm not stating this well at all, but the text itself doesn't indicate
who he was calling upon at that point. Some translations insert "God"
after the accusative participle; others use "Jesus," or "the Lord,"
taking their cues (I assume) from the context. I take the Greek to be
saying that say that Stephen was in a "calling-upon" mode while he was
being stoned. Is there any justification for this?

Theodore "Ted" H. Mann
thmann@juno.com