Re: Luke 3:18 Syntax

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 09 1998 - 08:05:14 EDT

<x-rich>At 4:13 AM -0500 10/9/98, G. Ross wrote:

<excerpt>Thank you! I see from your explanation that it is possible
for (some) verbs in the middle voice to be transitive. I had thought,
mistakenly, that such verbs were always intransitive. The question of
deponent vs. non-deponent comes to mind here, also. From what you have
said, I infer that Luke used EUAGGELIZOMAI in the same sense as another
might use EUAGGELIZW, that is, as a deponent verb. Now my question is
Do non-deponent verbs in the middle voice take objects in the
accusative case?

</excerpt>

Yes. The usage of EUAGGELIZOMAI does seem a bit extraordinary, since
it can take, as in this instance, an accusative of the group
evangelized, but often takes an accusative like LOGON and means more
simply "preach."

</x-rich>