Re: John 12:27 DIA TOUTO

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Oct 18 1998 - 02:36:07 EDT

John M. Harkins wrote:

> Is there a grammatical or a logical referent for DIA TOUTO in the
> Greek text itself? e.g. possibly 12:23 hINA DOXASQH hO hUIOS TOU
> ANQRWPOU or 12:27 itself hH YUCH MOU TETARAKTAI or 12:28 PATER DOXASON
> SOU TO ONOMA.

Rev. Harkins,

I looked in the only seven commentaries I had handy (Alford, Marcus Dods,
Westcott, Leon Morris, H.A.W. Meyer, Godet and Raymond Brown.

Taking your question in the most narrow sense, only Leon Morris and Godet seem
to address it and I found their answer rather hard to fathom. They make the
referent of DIA TOUTO the preceding THS hWRAS TAUTHS. I admit that this
baffles me a little. The English translation of Godet paraphrases it "but for
this hour am I come."

I suspect that what you want is a discussion of the syntactical complexities
of this passage which is more than I can offer tonight but this will get the
discussion off the ground anyway.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point