Re: Re. 1 Cor 12:13

From: Mary L B Pendergraft (pender@wfu.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 12 1998 - 12:11:53 EST

At 11:50 AM 11/12/98 -0000, Paul F. Evans wrote:
List,

Still working through 1 Cor 12.

KAI GAR EN ENI PNEUMATI HMEIS PANTEV EIS EN SWMA EBAPTISQHMEN EITE
JIOUDAIOI EITE ELLHNEV EITE DOULOI EITE ELEUQEROI...

...KAI PANTES hEN PNEUMA EPOTISQHMEN.

...even as we all drank the one Spirit.
In verse 13 the last portion of the verse, is translated in the KJV as
"made to drink...." This some what deflects the main emphasis in the idea
Paul seeks to communicate; they all have a common experience of the Spirit.
 Is it as accurate to say, "We all drank the one Spirit"?

Here are my problems in understanding the text. The preceding list
overshadows the following statement and contrasts with the one Spirit. To
over do the passive in English forces attention from the main idea of the
entire pericope and jars one look for who is acting upon us instead of the
direction of the action which seems to be the point. Also, the idea of
drinking into the Spirit, is not what Paul means at all is it? Doesn't he
mean that the Spirit is what is drunk! He is the object of the verb,
right? How much force is given to the passive when rendering it into
English? Should it enjoy a stronger recognition? In other words is there
truly an emphasis on the idea of being acted upon? I think that Paul is
trying to make the point that all have a similar experience of the one
Spirit, and that the passive is a necessary way to express the idea, but
may not be the main point. To say "made to drink..." shifts the emphasis
(maybe) so how to my mind! (not that I have one)
POTIZW = to give (someone something) to drink--so that the passive is prob.
just what we want: "we've all been given one spirit to drink"

Someone comment on the KAI please! Is this a sort of "even as" type of
thing, or is it something else?
I think it's just "and": "we've all been baptized....and we've all been
given one spirit to drink"

  Mary

Mary Pendergraft
Associate Professor of Classical Languages
Wake Forest University
Winston-Salem NC 27109-7343
336-758-5331 (NOTE: this is a new number) pender@wfu.edu