Re: TASSO in acts 13:48

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Nov 12 1998 - 23:15:40 EST

thomas j logan wrote:

> My question concerns the meaning of TASSO in acts 13:48
>
> And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying
> the word of the Lord; and as many as had been appointed to eternal life
> believed.
>
> I have seen it interpreted by anything from preordained to disposed. Any
> grammatical or lexical insights ?

Thomas,

TASSO is often used as an authority word. It is used in the Attic authors in
military and governmental situations where a superior chooses a subordinate
for a task. The LXX also has numerous examples of this kind of use. Two
examples are 1Chr. 17:10, 2Chr. 31:2.

In the passive voice TASSO occurs in Luke 7:8, Acts 22:10, and Rom 13:1
besides Acts 13:48. In all three of these passages TASSO is an authority
word. In Luke 7:8 the authority is military. In Rom 13:1 and Acts 22:10 the
authority is QEOS.

This is really a question for the White Horse Inn. Let Rod Rosenblat and
Michael Horton fight over it. It may be a bit to theological for safe
discussion on the b-greek list.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point