Re: searching for Colwell [and more]

From: thomas j logan (caltom@gate.net)
Date: Thu Nov 19 1998 - 10:28:20 EST

Hi Randy & All

Your post hit the nail on the head in describing the problems I have encountered in
doing a Colwell type search . Excluding a word before another word is impossible when

searching for a phrase in which the first word is used later in the phrase. As a
result searching for a phrase of the type notword item1 verb word item2 cannot be
done. I
would however have thought that the search I used

((N??N BEFOREWORD 1 greek lemma EIMI) BEFOREWORD 1 A??N) BEFOREWORD 1 N??N

where N??N is a nominative case noun of any gender or number and A??N is the matching

article and Greek lemma EIMI is all forms of the verb EIMI

would have given me all anarthrous noun1 EIMI arthrous noun2 and all arthrous noun 1
EIMI
arthrous noun2 combinations. My search however additionally gave me examples where
there were
intervening words between the search items. It does not appear the beforeword operand

functions correctly

in Christ
Tom