Re: minimal german

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Dec 03 1998 - 15:36:48 EST

With all due respect to the venerable scholars who have posted their views on
this subject, I am quite amaze that not a single protest has been raised on
this subject.

If my memory serves me correctly, there are a number of people on this list
who participate in the study of NT Greek outside of the academic
establishment.

I have observed that the tendency to bow down and pray four times a day facing
Berlin is primarily a characteristic of academia. For those of us who just
want to study the NT in Greek, a number of back-water schools like Oxford,
Cambridge and Sheffield provide us with a lot of reading material in English.

The notion that the only serious works are published in German is one which
deserves some critical scrutiny. What the best works are on any given subject
is a question that very much depends on what ones objectives are. If ones
objective is a Professorship at Princeton in NT then by all means learn
German. But this kind of goal is very foreign to a number of people on b-greek.

Having read many of the contemporary works that HAVE been translated into
English from German, I had noted that these works tend start from a set of
presuppositions about the NT which are diametrically opposed to the set of
presuppositions I have about the NT. This does not mean these works are of no
value, but it does mean that I am not going to become fluent in German so I
can read more of the same.

How man German NT Scholars learn English for the sole purpose of reading Leon
Morris or Darell Bock or John Walvoord ;-) ????? (Note: This is not a list of
my favorite authors. I keep that list a secret.)

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

PS

This post was revised several times with the intent of avoiding being relegated to Jonathan's domain of eternal flames. Let me know if I failed (off list).