Re: minimal german

From: Nichael Lynn Cramer (nichael@sover.net)
Date: Thu Dec 03 1998 - 15:57:27 EST

clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:
>With all due respect to the venerable scholars who have posted their views on
>this subject, I am quite amaze that not a single protest has been raised on
>this subject.
>
>If my memory serves me correctly, there are a number of people on this list
>who participate in the study of NT Greek outside of the academic
>establishment.

With mutually reflective respect ;-) I think this is precisely the point
(and one which I tried to make in an earlier note).

One can, IMnsHO, certainly profitably study Greek and NT Studies without an
in depth understanding of German. Just as one can --to use a not
completely precise analogy-- read an awful lot of interesting Physics
without knowing any calculus or differential equations.

However, the game is somewhat different for someone who attempts to persue
serious scholarly study in those fields. It certainly isn't an issue of
scholars in either field using such requirments to exclude outsider; any
more than it is a physicist's "fault" that proper understanding of her
field requires fluency in mathematics. Nonetheless it is simply the way
the world is made that there are certain minimal skill sets required to
play in certain backyards.

Nichael Cramer
nichael@sover.net                        deep autumn--
http://www.sover.net/~nichael/                   my neighbor what does she do