Re: 2Cor 12:7 The thorn in the flesh and the messenger of Satan.

From: Bill W. Rodgers (billfred@erols.com)
Date: Tue Dec 08 1998 - 20:19:12 EST

Ian E. Rock wrote:

> 2Cor.12:7 - KAI TH UPERBOLH TWN APOKALUYEWN. DIO INA MH UPERAIRWMAI,
> EDOQH MOI SKOLOY TH SARKI, AGGELOS SATANA, INA ME KOLAFIZH, INA MH
> UPERAIRWMAI.
>
> What did Paul mean when he spoke of "SKOLOY TH SARKI, AGGELOS SATANA"?
> Are they the same, with the same purpose? Or was the thorn to keep him
> from being too elated, while the messenger was just to harrass him? Can
> we justify claims then that the thorn was an impediment located in his
> physical body? Do we have any instances in Hellenistic literature where
> these terms are used? And is the meeting in Paul the same as in these
> external references? I was told that the TLG could provide some of this
> information, but I do not have access to it in Barbados, (Codrington
> College). Your inputs and assistance greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards
> Ian E. Rock
> Ordinand
> Codrington College
> St. John, Barbados, West Indies
>
> ---
> B-Greek home page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/bgreek
> You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: billfred@erols.com
Ian: I did a quick search of the TLG and could only find SKOLOY and
SARX used together in Galen, the medical writer, and one of his
imitators. In every case they are using the phrase in a literal sense.
The phrase occurs in many of the early church writers, but they are
quoting 2Cor 12:7. There is a figurative use of SKOLOY by itself in
the LXX of Ez. 28:24.

As for AGGELOS SATANA, the phrase seems to be restricted to early church
writers.

I think Paul might have been referring to some kind of physical ailment,
but I think it rather more likely he was referring to some type of
spiritual "satanic message" which was as painful as any literal "thorn
in the flesh."

Bill W. Rodgers            e-mail:  billfred@erols.com