RE: 2 Peter 1:20

From: wross (wross@farmerstel.com)
Date: Thu Dec 10 1998 - 21:52:29 EST

{Alan}
[snip]
If we said in English, "Every prophecy does not come about by certain
means," we anticipate the rejoinder, "but some prophecies do." The syntax
of the Greek sentence doesn't seem to me to imply this.

{Bill}
Thanks Alan. Now, if it doesn't imply that some prophecies of Scripture are
their own interpreters, does it allow that some are? Is this possibly
intended?>

"Every prophecy of Scripture self-explanatory isn't [becoming/regularly
occurring]"

or how about,

"Not every prophecy of Scripture becomes (is regularly occurring) its own
interpreter"

The Complete Biblical Library contributes this, related to 'PAS':

When the singular form is used with a noun but without a definite article
[which is the case here] it can mean "each" or "every," as in the verse
"every tree therefore that does not bear good fruit..." (Matt 3:10, NASB);
or "all sorts of" as in "healing every kind of disease and every kind of
sickness..." (Matt 4:23, NASB).

So, would that lend to?:

"Each prophecy of Scripture does not become (is not regularly occurring) its
own interpreter"

or

"Not every kind of prophecy of Scripture becomes (is regularly occurring)
its own interpreter"

Also, please note that none of these translations seem show the word IDIAS
as referring back to the prophecy except Darby. I think that Darby is
correct to point IDIAS at the prophecy, not at the reader or the prophet.
Peter is not saying anything about the reader's interpretation, but a
prophecy's self-interpretation. Am I correct in that? (I imagine that we
are, or we wouldn't be trying to interpret it, eh! If it did, we'd have to
shut down b-Greek!

NIV
Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by
the prophet's own interpretation.
RSV
First of all you must understand this, that no prophecy of scripture is a
matter of one's own interpretation,
KJV
Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private
interpretation.
DBY
knowing this first, that [the scope of] no prophecy of scripture is had from
its own particular interpretation,
YLT
this first knowing, that no prophecy of the Writing doth come of private
exposition,