2 Peter 1:20

From: Bill Ross (wross@farmerstel.com)
Date: Thu Dec 10 1998 - 10:39:55 EST

Hi. This is Bill Ross. I have been away for many months ("stumbling on the
sides of seven misty mountains"). I need some help with 1 Peter 1:20 and
didn't see it in the archives - which surprised me.

* is the fact that the first phrase is in the positive a choice? Could it
have been said, as in the KJV, "no prophecy", instead of "every
prophecy...is not", or is that pretty much how you say it?

* shouldn't GINETAI be translated "is becoming", as opposed to "has come"?

* would anyone suggest a translation of the hapax EPILUSEWS other than
interpretation? How about "unloosing"? What about
"resolving-the-interpretation-of"? What about "unknotting-the-meaning-of"?

The present tense of GINETAI makes me wonder if Peter is referring to a
present activity of receiving revelation by meditation, allowing the Holy
Spirit to "unknot the meaning of" the prophecies of Scripture, since he has
just told them that they would do well to listen until the day star
arises...