RE: 2 Peter 1:20

From: wross (wross@farmerstel.com)
Date: Fri Dec 11 1998 - 12:57:04 EST

{Philip}
>What translation uses "every" for this verse? I checked several (NIV, KJV,
RSV, ASV, New Century, New Living Trans. NASB) and none had "every
prophecy," all had "no prophecy."

>I don't think that you could translate it as a positive statement
>because PASA is negated, Ck out BAG, I am on page 631 inthe 2nd ed.,
>I-A-a, OU + PAS = nothing, rather than not everything.

{Edgar}
A literalistic translation: "Every passage is not of individual loosing."

{Bill}
* I personally am uncomfortable with the jump from "prophecy" to "passage"
if we are going literalistic;
* I also think that the positioning of the negation is significant and
should not be moved. Look how different these are in English:
        - Every ... is not [implies universal negation]
        - Not every is... [implies that most are] see OU PAS in Matt 7:21
        - Every is ... isn't [implies exception to the statement] 2 Peter 1:20
PASA.. noun ... OU verb.
        - None there are [implies absence of an exception] see Ouk estiv in Rom
3:23

        In 2 Peter 1:20, the negation is of "becomes" or "happens";
* "Individual" is not reflexive so I think "its own" is better.

{Edgar}
That equals "no passage is to be interpreted individualistically."

{Bill}
If we accept translating prophecy as passage, the movement of OU to qualify
the Every instead of Becomes, released as interpreted and "its own" as
"individualistically". As a literalistic translation, I prefer something
like:

"Every prophecy Scripture its own releaser becomes is not [so]."

Less literalistic I would go for:

"Not every prophecy of Scripture is becoming its own interpretor"

{Philip}
Why not? the context suggests because every passage is the result of joint
authorship, that of a holy man and the Holy Spirit. 2 Peter 3:15-16 suggests
the possibility that the problem is the mis-use of Paul's letters [which
makes this passage the first to regard Paul as Scripture].

{Bill}
Excellent points here. In 2 Peter 3:18, Peter summarizes what he has been
writing about. He has been equipping the saints so they would have grace and
peace multiplied by a full knowledge (1:2), partake of the exceeding great
and precious promises of God (1:4), become fruitful in the full knowledge of
our Lord Jesus Christ (1:8), and never fall (1:10). He shows (the way to be
strong and overcome the false teachers:

"But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus
Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen."

He is equipping them to do that by teaching them how to meditate the
Scriptures and obtain divine revelations by the Spirit.