Re: reason for b-greek

From: Theodore H. Mann (thmann@juno.com)
Date: Wed Dec 09 1998 - 23:09:29 EST

Hi All:

    I would like to re-contribute a thought on this issue I suggested
some time back, and I would appreciate any reaction that might be
forthcoming. I think it's an appropriate topic, since it relates
somewhat indirectly to Carlton's query (below).
    I study b-Greek mainly because I enjoy doing so, not so much because
I expect to gain insights into the meaning of the text over and above
those provided by qualified experts. The study of biblical languages is
extremely important, for reasons partly defined by Ben (below), but
unless one is willing to become quite proficient, I doubt that the novice
is going to gain much (if any) significant appreciation of the subtelties
of the original texts beyond what he can procure by reading the research
of credible scholars. And even if one achieves a high level of
proficiency, one will, I think, tend to find him/herself scampering over
already well-worn paths, which have been meticulously explored by others.
 Of course, having a basic grasp of the language aids in understanding
what the scholars are discussing, but much of it can be understood even
without studying Greek (and, I assume, Hebrew and Aramaic).
    With the help of a lexicon, I can usually supply a basic English
translation of a given NT passage. And it's great fun! But I can also
read any number of existing English translations (including
interlinears), and achieve the same (even better) results without
spending any time studying Mounce, Wenham, Machen or Wallace. For more
subtle and detailed nuances, there is plenty of worthwhile information
provided, in English, by those who have spent a lifetime pursuing such
matters.
    I would encourage ANYONE to study NT Greek, if only for the sheer
enjoyment of it, the profound sense of accomplishment it provides, and
the wonderful people it brings, however peripherally, into your life
(Jonathan, Carl, Ben, Carlton, and all the rest of you). However, if one
wishes, on one's own, to grasp the deep subtle shades of meaning and the
rich patina of the language, I think one had better be prepared to get
VERY good at it.

Theodore "Ted" H. Mann
thmann@juno.com