Re: Aspect junkies relative importance of aspect

From: Roy Millhouse (RRMILLHO@hewitt.com)
Date: Fri Dec 11 1998 - 22:04:09 EST

I was rather surprised by Don Wilkins' comments as well. First, the
implication is that those involved in aspect studies are ignorant of
Hebrew. If this is so, I find this to be a false assumption. Second, I
think it begs the question of why aspect is studied in Greek. Does the
Greek verbal system encode aspect? If so, how? These are questions
familiarity with Hebrew cannot answer. Understanding how Hebrew encodes
aspect may help us define aspect on a universal level (and we all know how
a uniform definition is needed on that level!), but I don't think it does
much to help our understanding of what is going on in Greek.

As far as aspect and English, I think Mari Olsen, if she's still on the
list, might dispute that English does not encode aspect, considering she
spent a chapter of her diss. to show that it does.

I'll quite before I'm labeled a junkie or geek!

Roy Millhouse
MA/NT Candidate
TEDS

>Subject: Aspect junkies relative importance of aspect
>From: Greg Kilbrai <gkilbrai@dlcwest.com>
>Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 19:12:27 -0600
>Don Wilkins wrote:
> Incidentally, someone referred to aspect
> studies. I would strongly encourage those who are "aspect junkies" (my
own
> rather crude nickname) to learn enough Hebrew to see the importance of
> aspect there, and then compare the relative importance of aspect for
Greek.