Philemon

From: One of the McKays (music@fl.net.au)
Date: Fri Dec 18 1998 - 06:38:40 EST

I have been studying Philemon, and have been finding it a fascinating little
letter, but am interested in the range of translations and interpretations
of verse 6.

1. What does hH KOINWNIA THS PISTEWS SOU mean?
Are there any clues in other Pauline letters?

Is he referring to monetary support [as in Romans 15:26 & 2 Cor 9:13?]
Is he talking about evangelistic activity?
Or is his use of KOINWNIA relating to fellowship with other believers?

2. Some translations render the last part of the verse:
... the knowledge of all the good that is ours in Christ [RSV, REB, NET
Bible & NIV]

but others have:
... when you perceive all the good that we may do for Christ [NRSV, NLT]

I don't understand how the latter translation arose. Can someone explain it
for me?

David McKay
music@fl.net.au