Re: Philemon

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Mon Dec 21 1998 - 10:36:56 EST

At 10:38 PM 12/18/98 +1100, One of the McKays wrote:
>I have been studying Philemon, and have been finding it a fascinating little
>letter, but am interested in the range of translations and interpretations
>of verse 6.
>
>1. What does hH KOINWNIA THS PISTEWS SOU mean?
>Are there any clues in other Pauline letters?
>
>Is he referring to monetary support [as in Romans 15:26 & 2 Cor 9:13?]
>Is he talking about evangelistic activity?
>Or is his use of KOINWNIA relating to fellowship with other believers?

There are a few clues in the context. The first puzzle is how the word
hOPWS is being used in the phrase hOPWS hH KOINWNIA THS PISTEWS SOU ENERGHS
GENHTAI. I suspect that this means that Paul is praying that this may
happen, i.e. Paul is praying that Philemon's KOINWNIA THS PISTEWS may
become "effective in causing something to happen" (Louw and Nida 13.124).

I think your mention of Romans 15:26 and 2 Cor 9:13 is relevant here, not
because I think Paul is referring to a monetary gift, but because giving,
fellowship, and what Paul is asking for in Philemon have a lot in common.

IMHO, the phrase hAPLOTHTI THS KOINWNIAS in 2 Cor 9:13 is somewhat similar
to the phrase THN ENDEIXIN THS AGAPHS hUMWN. The "proof of their love" that
Paul is asking for is a contribution to take care of the needs of the
suffering saints. Similarly, the phrase hAPLOTHTI THS KOINWNIAS brings in
both the sense of sincere fellowship and a generous gift, which is the best
form of sincere fellowship with those who are in financial need.

In Romans 15:26 and 2 Cor 9:13, it is clear that Paul is discussing a
monetary gift. In Philemon, Paul refers to hH KOINWNIA THS PISTEWS SOU
ENERGHS GENHTAI without saying exactly what he means - yet! It's clear that
he wants this KOINWNIA THS PISTEWS to manifest itself. In verses 8-10, Paul
starts to let the cat out of the bag, appealing to Philemon on behalf of
Onesimus. In the rest of the letter Paul asks him to accept Onesimus back -
as a brother, to forgive him, and to "charge it to Paul's account". He then
goes on to say he is confident that Onesimus will do what is right, and to
ask Onesimus to prepare a room for him - could this possibly be a way of
following up and indicating the level of Paul's concern and interest in
making sure this comes out right?

So I would say that the base meaning of hH KOINWNIA THS PISTEWS SOU really
*is* the "fellowship of your faith", the shared life of all believers that
results from the faith of each believer, and which is often expressed by
appropriate concern for each believer. The concrete form it takes is
dependent on the situation.

>2. Some translations render the last part of the verse:
>... the knowledge of all the good that is ours in Christ [RSV, REB, NET
>Bible & NIV]
>
>but others have:
>... when you perceive all the good that we may do for Christ [NRSV, NLT]
>
>I don't understand how the latter translation arose. Can someone explain it
>for me?

The phrase is EN EPIGNWSEI PANTOS AGAQOU TOU EN hHMIN EIS CRISTON. "In
recognition of all good EN hHMIN EIS CRISTON". This good is in us, and it
is EIS CRISTON. I think they are translating EIS CRISTON as "for the sake
of Christ". So the latter translations refer to the good in us that is
directed toward others for the sake of Christ.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine
Little Greek 101: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine/greek/lessons