Re: Commentaries on the Greek text of Galatians

From: Jeffrey B. Gibson (jgibson000@ameritech.net)
Date: Thu Dec 10 1998 - 19:56:53 EST

> Darron Chapman wrote:
>
> I was wondering if anyone could suggest one or more commentaries on
> the Greek text of Galatians. I would welcome any suggestions on
> commetraies that have been helpful, but I am specifically interested
> in commentaries or other works that deal with the Greek text in some
> detail. Thanks.

Darron

With respect to good commentaries on the Greek text of Galatians we are
blessed with an embarrasment of riches. Here are a few in English:

Richard Logenecker in the Word Series
J. Louis Martyn in the Anchor Series
H.D. Betz in the Hermenia series
F.F. Bruce in Eerdmans' NIGT series
James Dunn in the Black's Series (Hendrickson)
DeWitt Burton in the ICC
J.B. Lightfoot in the old Macmillan

In addition to these you might want to look at Ben Witherington's new
Social Science Commentary on Galatian.

For German commentaries, have a look at the suggestions in the
literature section re Gal. in Udo Schnell's new _The History and
Theology of the New Testament Writings_. And don't forget to look, too,
at the bibliographies in each of these commentaries as well as in Ray
Brown's _Introduction to the New Testament_.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson

--
Jeffrey B. Gibson