Re: On the Rock of 1 Co. 10:4

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Fri Dec 25 1998 - 16:17:30 EST

At 11:00 25/12/98 -0600, you wrote:

>>I've checked the web and can't find the individual Philo titles<<

Yes, isn't it extraordinary -- on http://www.hivolda.no/asf/kkf/philopag.html
[ WWWResources for the study of Philo of Alexandra ] I found even more
cryptic references to " Det. " , which was no help at all; wouldn't you
think that somewhere there would be a "starter menu" <g>

The first place I had looked was the list of abbreviated names in the front
of the big LSJ, but of course Philo falls between the cracks in that
particular mansion.

>recollect there was a title in the corpus of Philonian works that sounded
>something like QUOD DETERIOR SERVUS SIT MELIORI--
>I'd guess it has something to do with Jacob and Esau or the like, since
almost all of >the Philonian treatises have something to do with Genesis
themes.

Bingo, that's it.
THAT THE WORSE IS WONT TO ATTACK THE BETTER
is the title on my CD-ROM, abbrviated from Yonge's original title:
A Treatise on the Principle that the Worse is Accustomed to be
Always Plotting against the Better.
Yes, it begins with Cain and Abel

Many, many thanks for your help.
Enjoy the rest of what sounds like a nice family day --- which is what it
should be !!

Regards,
Maurice

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]