Re: On the Rock of 1 Co. 10:4

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 25 1998 - 12:00:35 EST

At 2:17 PM +0000 12/25/98, Maurice A. O'Sullivan wrote:
>In a book I'm currently browsing, in a section delaing with the Rock of 1
>Co. 10:4, I have come across a reference to Philo's reflections on the rock
>of Nb. 50:8.
>
>I am dependent on the titles in English on my Logos CD-ROM, and though I
>recognise "Leg. All II " as the second book on Allegorical Interpretations,
>I am stumped by " Deter. 115-118 ".
>
>Many of Philo's works are entitled " De ......." but I cannot put my finger
>on which one this is.
>
>Can you help me, please? --- that is when you have enjoyed your Christmas <g>
>
>Best wishes for today and all the other days to come in 1999.

Thanks for your greeting and i wish you also the very best; your Christmas
is fading a lot faster than mine, I guess; we just finished a late
Christmas morning breakfast; my daughter is here visiting with us and we're
all together for the first time in a year.

I've checked the web and can't find the individual Philo titles, but I
recollect there was a title in the corpus of Philonian works that sounded
something like QUOD DETERIOR SERVUS SIT MELIORI--I'd guess it has something
to do with Jacob and Esau or the like, since almost all of the Philonian
treatises have something to do with Genesis themes. I know that title isn't
accurate; I have a complete Philonian text at the office, but I won't go
over there before Monday. I'll try to remember to check again and get back
to you, but by then you'll probably have it figured out.

Best regards, Carl