Re: MUQOS in 1 Timothy

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Sun Dec 27 1998 - 18:35:36 EST

At 12:24 PM 12/28/98 +0800, you wrote:
>Dear Fellow B-Greekers,
> It seems way off the purpose of B-Greek, but perhaps you would suggest
what Paul was referring to?

It seems to me that the reference to "myths" points to the whole homeric
tradition. These foundation epics were derided by Paul in an effort to
exalt his gospel.

> One suggestion by Metzger was the aggadic writings, and the Book of
Jubilees, more the homiletical or fictional accounts from Jewish literature
at that time.

This is not very likely.
The line between so called pseudepigraphal writings and "scripture" was not
yet drawn- and it seems unlikely that Paul (using the typical name for the
unknown author of the Pastorals) would call his own religious heritage myth.

>Would this include the Apocrypha? I understand that Timothy would have
known these literature Paul was talking about. How do we know whether it
includes what and what were not?
>Would Paul be talking 'canonical' here?

No- there was no canon as we know the collection.

>Regards,
>Lemuel

Best,

Jim