Re: Mark 3:33,35 5:42 abnormalities?

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Mon Jan 04 1999 - 11:21:38 EST

Tim Duke wrote;

>I have noticed some places in my Nestles (4th Rev Ed) where italicised
>brakcets enclose a word or phrase, but absolutely no mention is made of
>it in the apparatus below. Two that I have chosen at random are Mark
>3:33,35 and 5:42.
>When I look at the intro, it says these refer to "an abnormality
>reproduced exactly from the original". Does this mean that there is an
>error in the greek which has persisted in every single ancient
>manuscript? If so, what is the error in these three cases? I can't see
>it. Where have I gone wrong?
>These seem to be quite frequent in Mark (more so than other books). Any
>reason?

Tim if you do have a Nestle 4th edition, you have an old one. I started
with Nestle 21 in 1955. Two of the passages you are looking at involve the
omission of words [MOU & GAR]. Both are omitted in B which Nestle took
very seriously. I would guess that that is the reason for the italics,
perhaps. In the third instance the omission of EUQUS is likely though the
Nestle-Aland prints it in square brackets.

Just guessing.

Carlton L. Winbery
Fogleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College