Re: Luke 5.29 - Levi's party

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Tue Jan 05 1999 - 22:31:30 EST

On Tue 5 Jan 99 (18:43:07), m.z.wilkins@zoo.co.uk wrote:
> Do we know exactly what a DOCH in Palestine in the first century might
> have involved? And were TELWNAI the sleazy social outcasts my
> Sunday school teachers suggested? I'd be most grateful for any help.

 Margaret:

 If you have access to a library, then turn up Alfred Edersheim, /The Life
 and Times of Jesus the Messiah/, 2 vols., London, 1900, vol 1, pp 514-521.
 This gives a full survey of the various types of TELWNAI at work in
 first-century Palestine, and a full discussion of the implications of the
 conversion of Levi/Matthew, and a consideration of the "memorable gathering
 [that] took place in the house of Matthew".

 Enjoy.
 Ben

--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF