Re: Rom 12:2

From: JŸrg Buchegger (j.buchegger@datacomm.ch)
Date: Thu Jan 07 1999 - 11:16:11 EST

First of all, I have to apologize to all of you who had to wait longer than
normal while downloading the B-Greek E-Mail because of my 35K message in
reply to Maurice! And, worse, you had to scroll through tons of material
you've read before. Sorry. I simply forgot to erase the whole rest of the
messages when I wrote my return message. This are the real life problems of
the e-mail beginners!
Now here are some thoughts and in some cases some second questions of mine
to some of the very helpful responses especially from Carl:

Subject: Re: Rom 12:2 part 1 function of KAI

Carl wrote:
>However, I think one might also see in this second verse an intensification
>of what was stated in verse 1 as an urgent admonition; I've always thought
>that the phrasing of MH SUSCHMATIZESQE ... ALLA METAMORFOUSQE is a
>rephrasing in terms of apocalyptic eschatology of the Deuteronomic warning
>against "becoming like the nations"--and so one might say that the KAI
>doesn't simply link a second and different bit of advice but an intensified
>form of the initial admonition, so that one might translate: "and don't
>even pattern yourselves in terms of this world-age, but ..." or "an in
>fact, you should not pattern yourselves ..."

A very interesting thought and a new one to me is the deuteronomic
connection. Do you think of a connection to this OT passages/theme in terms
of specific words used or only of having the same theme?

Subject: Re: Rom 12:2 part 2 - PARAKALW + Infinitive KAI Imperatives

Carl:
>I'm not sure exactly what the phrase "oratio variata" is intended to mean,
but I
>think there's really something more than an "in-other-words" reformulation
>of the PARAKALW PARASTHSAI construction, even if it IS a reformulation: to
>use the phrase of one of the deconstructionists, it is a "repetition with
>significant addition."

Winer (p 509) says: we have a oratio variata "wenn naemlich in parallelen
Saetzen und Satzgliedern eine doppelte (synonyme) Construction gewaehlt
wird, deren jede fuer sich vollendet ist - ungleichartige Satzbildung." On
the syntactical grammatical level one would expect another infinitive in
v.2, right?

Subject: Re: Rom 12:2 part 3 - METASXHMATIZW medium or passiveImpv

>I can't resist this, as anyone who has read my harangues on Greek voice
>will anticipate! I think both METASCHMATIZESQE and SUMMORFOUSQE are
>middle;

I'm quite new here, but I already found out that you have a very strong
opinion on the question of middle/passive in Greek. Somebody mentioned, I
think, that you are currently writing on that subject. Can you please
enlighten me and even give me some hints to the mentioned literature? Up to
now I was convinced that the second verb has to be a passive. Perhaps
because I thought that the form of the verb lets it open and the middle
would somehow weaken the passive element you mention next.

>I think that SUMMORFOUSQE has to be understood
>in the same context: there's a passive element in it in that the
>readers/listeners are admonished to permit GOD to reshape their
>hearts/minds; nevertheless, it seems to me that we have here (as regularly
>in Paul) an implicit formulation recognizing both divine initiative and
>personal participation in the process of the transformation of selfhood
>into what one was always meant to be. Indeed, SUMMORFOUSQE has a
>Deuteronomic antecedent also, I think, just as does MH METASCHMATIZESQE: it
>is "circumcize the foreskins of your hearts."

This means, the middle leaves this passive element open, anyway, right?
Again the relation to the Deuteronomy is a new thought and a very
interesting one to me and I'm again wondering where you would find the
connecting link?

Subject: Re: Rom 12:2 part 4 - ANAKAINWSIS pauline neologism

>This is a very good question--quite obviously, I think. And I don't think
>there's any ready-to-hand answer; if it hasn't already been done, it's meat
>for someone's dissertation research (or life's scholarly project?).

Perhaps I have to mention here, that my starting point for my dissertation
(on which I am currently working) was a statistical research for pauline
neologisms. It turned out that ANAKAINWSIS is one and probably an
interesting one.

>At this point I thrown in what is no more than a gut-feeling. It wouldn't
>surprise me to find that ANAKAINOW reflects a Latin verb RENOVARE and that
>the ANA- prefix functions precisely as does the RE- prefix in the Latin
>verb.

Would that mean, this previously unknown greek word came into Pauls mind
because there was this latin RENOVARE somehow somewhere in the back of his
"linguistic consciousness"? What can be said about latin influencing Koine
greek and especially helping in coining "new" words in general? And: Do we
know something about Paul's knowledge and use of latin?

Thanks for any further comments and don't expect answers from me up to Jan
23, because of two weeks of vacations up in the snowy Swiss mountains
without e-mail!

Juerg Buchegger