Book query--ANRW

From: Rodney J. Decker (rdecker@bbc.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 13 1999 - 10:59:40 EST

I just ran across info on a major reference work with which I am unfamiliar
(actually our librarian asked about the importance of our obtaining all or
part of it--and I surely don't want to miss the opportunity to influence a
purchase of this magnitude!):

*Aufstieg und Niedergang der romischen Welt* (Rise and Decline of the Roman
World)--over 80 vols. (tech. about 40 with multiple parts/bindings). At
prices running from $200 to $500 per vol., this complete set would run well
over US$20,000.00 (and that's based on the de Gruyter prices that I have
from 1993!).

Is anyone familiar with this set, and if so, can you comment as to its
relevance for a seminary program? We have both an undergrad college program
here as well as a grad school (MS in ed.), and a seminary-which includes
both MDiv, ThM, DMin, and soon PhD programs. None of our programs, however,
are "classics majors." Are there particular vols. that would be most
relevant to biblical studies, or is the entire set of sufficient value to
justify the (very high) price?

Thanks,

Rod

Rodney J. Decker, Th.D. Baptist Bible Seminary
Dept. of NT P.O. Box 800, Clarks Summit, PA 18411
http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/
The *Resources for NT Study* page is accessible at:
http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/rd_rsrc.htm