Re: Mark 15:34

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Thu Jan 14 1999 - 03:29:50 EST

At 07:21 PM 1/13/99 -0600, you wrote:
>I am new at this, but here goes. I read somewhere in the past that Mark
15:34 should have been "My God, My God, I thank the for such speedy
deliverance".

Nope. There is no way that the Aramaic "tsabachthani" can be rendered
"speedy deliverance". It comes from a root meaning "forsake, leave, abandon".

>If this is allowable, then it is in unity with other statements which are
accredited to God saying that He will never forsake anyone that does not
forsake Him. Please give the exegetical treatment to this verse or primarily
to "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?". Mark 15:34 And at the ninth hour Jesus
cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is,
being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? (KJV)
jnall@alltel.net

It is, in fact, a quotation from Psalm 22. Both the underlying Hebrew of
Psalm 22, the LXX, the quote in Aramaic (on the lips of Jesus), and the
Greek of the Gospel, all, again ALL, clearly state "abandonment". Any effort
to rescue Jesus from some sort of doubt or sense of abandonment cannot be
maintained linguistically and any argument therefore is purely tendentious
and theological.

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD