Re: "pros ton theon"

From: One of the McKays (music@fl.net.au)
Date: Sat Jan 30 1999 - 08:02:23 EST

G'day Joseph

>I need to know the occurrences of "pros ton theon" in the Greek NT. Please
help. Email me so I will know that you have answered.

>Specifically, how many times does this phrase occur. And why is it not
translated the same every time?

According to BibleWorks, it occurs 20 times, in
John 1:1
John 1:2
John 13:3
Acts 4:24
Acts 12:5
Acts 24:16
Romans 5:1
Romans 10:1
Romans 15:17
Romans 15:30
2 Corinthians 3:4
2 Corinthians 13:7
Philippians 4:6
1 Thessalonians 1:8
1 Thessalonians 1:9
Hebrews 2:17
Hebrews 5:1
1 John 3:21
Revelation 12:5
Revelation 13:6

It is also used 69 times in the Septuagint, but I ain't gonna itemise all
the instances!

It is translated according to the context in which it occurs. It would be
inappropriate to translate its differing meanings with one standard
translation.

e.g. John 1:1 KAI hO LOGOS HN PROS TON QEON
And the Word was with God

It is most often translated "to God" and this usually is a good English
translation, but in Rev 13:6
KAI HNOIXEN TO STOMA AUTOU EIS BLASFHMIAS PROS TON QEON
And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God
is a good translation. "To God" would not be good English, nor would it
convey that the speaker was doing the opposite from the disciples in the
great prayer in Acts 4:24

David McKay
music@fl.net.au