Re: Accents in the originals?

From: One of the McKays (music@fl.net.au)
Date: Tue Feb 16 1999 - 23:29:27 EST

>I know this is probably a stupid question, but I will ask it anyway...
>
>Did the original Greek manuscripts have accents, breathing marks,
>punctuation, and capital letters? Were they broken at all into paragraphs
>or anything? Is there anything else that you could tell me about the
>layout, etc., of the originals?

Mark, this is a really sensible question! It is not stupid at all!

The original Greek manuscripts were in capitals and had no punctuation,
accents or even word divisions. I went to the State Library in Sydney,
Australia and had a go at reading a facsimile of Vaticanus once.

In English it looks like this:

TOBEORNOTTOBETHATISTHEQUESTIONWHETHERTISNOBLER

But, the interesting thing is that it is very rare for there to be any
question about how to divide up the words. [We once had a thread on this and
there are a very small number of places. As it remember it, five or even
fewer.]

If I wrote my post in that style, it would be irritating, but perfectly
intelligible.

BUTIDGETALOTOFFLAMESFORSHOUTINGWHICHISBADNETI
QUETTEBOTHONMYPARTANDONTHEPARTOFTHEWHINGERS

David McKay
music@fl.net.au