Re: this week's exegesis passage

From: Jonathan Ryder (jpr1001@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Feb 17 1999 - 15:19:59 EST

jharper@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> The rest is very very confusing to me. It starts OU LEGEI [I am not saying? not saying what? no
> object, transitive verb?]; then a confusing mosh of clauses

try: He is not saying, "...

> KAI TOIS SPERMASIN [and to the (plural) seed]
> WS EPI POLLWN [when upon/by/over many]

try WS = 'as', EPI + gen = on/upon but pos here 'to' or 'of'? It may also be shorthand for something
else - I'll leave that for the experts.

> ALL' WS EF' ENOS [but when upon/by/over one]

as above

> KAI TW SPERMATI SOU [but to his (singular) seed]
> OS ESTIN XRISTOS [which is Christ].
>
> I guess what's really making me nuts is I can't figure out what the POLLWN and ENOS are referring
> to, or which translation of EPI to use.

POLLWN to the 'seeds' and ENOS to the 'seed'

nb also the chiasmus

a KAI TOIS SPERMASIN
b WS EPI POLLWN
b' ALL' WS EF' ENOS