Re: this week's exegesis passage

From: jharper@ix.netcom.com
Date: Wed Feb 17 1999 - 15:59:57 EST

>> The rest is very very confusing to me. It starts OU LEGEI [I am not saying? not saying
what? no
>> object, transitive verb?]; then a confusing mosh of clauses
>
>try: He is not saying, "...

DUH. ::sound of forehead repeatedly hitting desk::

So the semicolon can introduce a direct quote?

>nb also the chiasmus
>
>a KAI TOIS SPERMASIN
>b WS EPI POLLWN
>b' ALL' WS EF' ENOS
>a' KAI TW SPERMATI SOU

Aha! That helps with the translations of KAI as well, since there's a pair of 'em.

>This has been a stumper for generations.

OH good, now I don't feel quite so much like an idiot . . .

>In other words, Paul notes that when these words were penned, there was a point to be
>made with the singular form.
>
>KAI TOIS SPERMASIN would then be seen as an alternative reading that is not used. One that
>would indicate plurality. You could put it in quotes.

Could one justify, then, translating OU LEGEI in a passive sense, as "it is not said"?

>That usage of EPI is discussed in BAGD 2nd ed. on 286 under the heading
>I,1,b,gamma,where it is used to "introduce the object which is to be
>discussed or acted upon."

THanks. I get too dependent on my computerized tools and forget the printed ones!

Many thanks to all who rang in, from a very
very
very
little
Greek.

Jane Harper

---------
jharper@ix.netcom.com
Pacific School of Religion, Berkeley, CA
Si hoc legere scis, nimium eruditionem habes.