Re: so nice to be back!

From: Christopher Hutson (crhutson@salisbury.net)
Date: Thu Feb 18 1999 - 15:37:25 EST

Clayton,

By "inductive," I mean that the textbook introduces texts to read
first and then follows with some minimal explanation of the grammar.
The theory is that the way you learn language naturally is by
hearing/reading and then imitating. The traditional approach to
language instruction is "deductive," wherein the textbook explains
grammatical principles and provides paradigms for students to memorize
and THEN gives them sentences to illustrate how the principles work.
Balme & Lawall offer minimal explanation and maximum reading, and they
often present grammatical constructions and even vocabulary in the
readings before they explain them in the grammar. They want students
to grasp the overall sense of a sentence or paragraph and figure out
the details from context. Only afterward do they explain why the
details mean what they mean.

XPIC

------------------------------------
Christopher R. Hutson
          Hood Theological Seminary
          Salisbury, NC 28144
crhutson@salisbury.net

<c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net>
>To: Christopher Hutson <crhutson@salisbury.net>
>Subject: Re: so nice to be back!
>Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 13:24:20 -0800
>

>> You might take a look at Balme & Lawall, _Athenaze: An
Introduction