Re: Philo - Logos as deuteron qeon

From: GregStffrd@aol.com
Date: Tue Feb 23 1999 - 00:32:48 EST

In a message dated 2/22/99 9:12:35 PM Pacific Standard Time,
AgapeLove9@aol.com writes:

<< Philo of Alexandria - GENESIS, BOOK II

 Can someone give me the Greek of the following statement in Philo where he
 refers to the LOGOS as a DEUTERON QEON? I am researching the differences
 between monotheism in the first century and the modern popular definition of
 monotheism.

 62. (Gen. ix. 6) Why does (Scripture) say, as if (speaking) of another god,
 "in the image of God He made man" and not "in His own image" ?
 Most excellently and veraciously this oracle was given by God. For nothing
 mortal can be made in the likeness of the most high One and Father of the
 universe but (only) in that of the second god, who is his Logos. >>

The final words of your translation, which are what I believe you are
requesting, read: PROS TON DEUTERON QEON hOS ESTIN EKEINOU LOGOS.

I have studied Philo and the Logos doctrine for some time now, and I am about
to put the finishing touches on my research for inclusion in an article. From
my reading of Philo, I would not say he believed in the LOGOS as a *separate*
god, necessarily. Rather, I think that Philo conceived of the LOGOS as a
manifestation of God, who could and did appear angelomorphically.

You might also profit in your studies by considering Conf. 146; Som. i.238-40;
De Confusione Linguarum 146; Quis Heres 205; Quaestiones et Solutiones in
Exodum ii. 94; and Quod Dues 138.

<< It appears as though first-century monotheism differs from some modern
 definitions of monotheism.

 Mark Johnson >>

There is no question about it.

Greg Stafford