Re: UBS4 vs NA27 vs UBS3

From: Rodney J. Decker (rdecker@bbc.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 22 1999 - 07:14:18 EST

>I have an NA27 which is the same size as the compact BHS. Is this the
>"small" NA27? It is significantly larger than NA26 and bolder. I have
>not seen two sizes of NA27 only one?

Yes to your first question. There *are* two sizes. From the current ABS
catalog:

#105388, $22.99, flexible casebound, 19 x 13 cm [this is the "standard ed."]
#105448, $43.99, leather bound, 19 x 13 cm
#105499, $33.99, Cloth bound large print study edition [24.5 cm x 16.5 cm]

As to font sizes, I don't know what the official size is, but my printer's
scale measures the standrad edition as 8/10 (8 point font set on 10 points
leading) measuring from the top of an uncial iota to the bottom of a chi,
and baseline to baseline. The large print edition, by contrast, looks like
it's 10/12 (perhaps 11/13].

Another query (from a different post):
>With all the complaints about the UBS4 font..., has a concerted effort been
>made (e.g., e-mail or letter campaign) to ABS/UBS to fix the font in the
>next edition of UBS?

The fonts for both current editions (UBS4 and NA27) are produced by
Linguists Software <http://www.linguistsoftware.com/lgk.htm>. Their
descriptions of their various Greek fonts include the following (note the
references to UBS and NA texts):

>Fonts included in LaserGreek are
>
>SymbolGreek¨, a standard classical Greek typeface, in plain, bold, italic,
> and bold-italic;
>SymbolGreekP the font style of the Nestle-Aland Novum Testamentum Graece,
> with tilde-shaped circumflex accents, in plain, bold, italic, and
> bold-italic;
>SymbolGreekPMono, a monowidth version of SymbolGreekP, with all characters
> having equal width, except overstriking characters, (especially
suitable > for diagramming), in plain;
>Graeca¨, a light text font similar to Rahlf's Septuaginta font;
>Graeca italic, a light italic-style Greek font as found in the United Bible
> Societies' Greek New Testament;
>Graeca, in bold and bold-italic;
>UncialLS, the same font style as SymbolGreek, except the lowercase Greek
> alphabet has been replaced with uncial characters, in plain; and
>GreekSans, a Helvetica¨- (Arial¨-) style (sans-serif) classical Greek font,
> in plain, bold, italic, and bold-italic.

It appears that the Bible Society selected the light italic version of
Graeca for UBS4. They have (presumably) already selected an alternative
font for the next edition. I base that conclusion on the following
information from a different page on the Linguists Software site
<http://www.linguistsoftware.com/lgk2.htm>:

>Fonts included in LaserGreek II are
>
>GraecaUBS, a light text font similar to Rahlf's Septuaginta font. The
> italic style matches the style of the regular text of the UBS Greek New
> Testament, 1st through 3rd editions, and was created at their request for
> future editions. GraecaUBS is provided in plain, bold, italic, and
> bold-italic styles.
>GreekSansII, a Helvetica¨- (Arial¨-style) sans serif Greek font with
> classical accents and letters. It is provided in plain, bold, italic, and
> bold-italic styles.
>Hellenica, a new font optimized for classical Greek with similarities in
> style to the SymbolGreek¨ font found in the original LaserGreek product.
> Hellenica is provided in plain, bold, italic, and bold-italic styles.
>HellenicaExtras, a Hellenica-style font that provides extra characters for
> epigraphical and textual studies not found in any other of the
LaserGreek or
> LaserGreek II fonts. HellenicaExtras is provided in plain, bold, italic,
and
> bold-italic styles.
>OdysseaUBS, the font style of the bold text in the UBS Greek New Testament,
> 1st through 3rd editions.
>Odyssea, a standard classical Greek typeface. Odyssea is provided in plain,
> bold, italic, and bold-italic styles.
>Payne, an Attic-style Greek typeface. Payne is provided in plain, bold,
> italic, and bold-italic styles.
>PayneCondensed, in plain, bold, italic, and bold-italic styles.

Rod

Rodney J. Decker, Th.D. Baptist Bible Seminary
Dept. of NT P.O. Box 800, Clarks Summit, PA 18411
http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/
The *Resources for NT Study* page is accessible at:
http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/rd_rsrc.htm