Duval/Guthrie vs. Gordon Fee

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Feb 24 1999 - 02:20:48 EST

My local library just purchased Duval/Guthrie on NT Greek Exegesis and I
was looking it over this evening for the first time. I was comparing it
to the 2nd edition of Gordon Fee's book on the same subject.

I wonder how many of you NT Greek professors have given up using Gordon
Fee's text for this new book. If you have, why did you? And if you
reviewed Duval/Guthrie and decided to stay with Gordon Fee, what were
your reasons?

***stop reading here if you are going to respond to the question****

My *first impressions of Duval/Guthrie on NT Greek Exegesis

Format: Work Book

Tone: Kay Arthur for college students

Approach to Syntax: Traditional

Major Strengths: Good Illustrations, top down approach (starts with
macro analysis and works toward micro analysis), simple method of
diagramming semantic relationships, authors seem to know their audience
and have tailored this book accordingly.

Minor Weaknesses: folksy, light on theory, pragmatic to a fault

Major Surprises: What Duval/Guthrie call semantic diagramming is quite
similar to what I have been doing for years and calling it syntax
diagramming. I don't use their semantic labels.

Overall Assessment: If I were teaching NT Greek Exegesis I might be
tempted to give this book a try. I don't think I would replace Fee with
Duval/Guthrie. Fee is too valuable to retire quite yet.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

*These are first impressions. I reserve the right to change my mind by tomorrow morning.