Re: Duval/Guthrie vs. Gordon Fee

From: Jonathan Ryder (jpr1001@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Feb 24 1999 - 13:37:36 EST

With reference to the below. I've done all my NT Greek study in England at a secular
university as part of Theological study. My first year greek course involved learning
grammar ('elements of') from Wenham followed by going through latter 8 chapters of
Mark, on which we were examined (translation qn and comment on differences in english
translation etc). As I did this first year out of sync I've since returned to greek
for a second year as part of graduate NT Studies.

As a result I've had no exposure to such things as diagramming (let alone discourse
analysis) etc. only discovering the idea by accident through reading Baker's series
of Guides to New Testament Exegesis.

What I'm wondering is if others would share their experiences of learning NT Greek or
NT studies more generally or how they teach NT and NT Greek - I'm particularly
interested in shapes of curriculum, resources, what you think someone should be
taught to do exegesis/read NT in original language.

I'm particularly interested in systematic approach to reading/exegesis such as
diagramming, grammatical and lexical analysis as it suits my scientific mind.

Respond off list if you prefer, but please do respond.

Jonathan Ryder