Re: Metaphors in Greek

From: George Blaisdell (maqhth@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 23 1999 - 16:30:44 EST

>From: Jack Kilmon

>In the Aramaic idiom, lahMA (bread) was a metaphor
>for wisdom or teaching and "eating bread" for learning.

Thanks, Jack, for this valuable and suggestive possibility. The English
metaphor, "Body of knowledge", still survives, of course.

The more I read the GNT and listen on this list, the more I am coming to
the conclusion that the GNT, written in Greek by Jews, has major
meanings that are Judaically imbedded, and that perhaps are not all that
accessible to us. I confess that our recent little excursion into
classical Greek [via the cut off/castration thread ~ Epictetus??] seemed
to me like a breath of very fresh translational air.

Do you have any more Aramaic or Hebraic metaphorical understandings for,
say, body and blood?

Thanks again...

George

George Blaisdell