Re: Interpretation of Mark 2:2??

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 07 1999 - 20:41:28 EST

At 7:27 PM -0600 3/7/99, Moon-Ryul Jung wrote:
>Dear friends,
>
>would you help me interpret Mark 2:2?
>
>kai sune^thesan polloi hoste me^keti Xo^rein me^de
>ta pros te^n thuran.

I'd transliterate this: KAI SUNHCQHSAN POLLOI hWSTE MHKETI CWREIN MHDE TA
PROS THN QURAN (we certainly don't insist that you use this transliteration
scheme, but using upper-case letters allows lower-case characters to
designate rough breathing and iota-subscripts and this scheme also clearly
differentiates between omicron/omega and epsilon/eta).

>1. RSV translates "sune^thesan" as "were gathered". It reminds me of
>what Carl wrote about voices of Greek. Here "the" does not mean to
>specify passive form but middle form, so that the meaning would be
>"gathered for themselves" or "gathered themselves"?

Yes, this is the way I'd read SUNHCQHSAN: as the aorist form of SUNAGOMAI
with a middle sense. Traditionally I think this would be called a "passive
deponent"--meaning a "deponent" verb that uses -QH- forms in the aorist and
future.

>2. Is "ta pros te^n thuran" the object of "xo^rein", so that the
>meaning would be "there was no room even for those on the door"?

You'll probably find some divergence of opinion on this. Some would
probably say that TA PROS THN QURAN is a neuter plural subject of CWREIN,
but personally I would prefer to read CWREIN in an impersonal sense and TA
PROS THN QURAN as an adverbial accusative: "And many had convened so that
there was no room--not even in the vicinity of the door."