RE: Interlinear Bibles

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 14 1999 - 20:33:02 EST

At 4:19 PM -0600 3/14/99, Bill Ross wrote:
>{Clay}
>J.P. Green has done a lot with interlinears in both testaments. Keep in
>mind however that he is a Textus Receptus advocate and his NT is based
>on the TBS edition of the TR. Also, Green's renderings of the original
>language tend to reflect a rather outmoded approach to lexical
>semantics.
>
>{Bill}
>* I know many disfavor TR, but how large is the body of those scholars who
>support TR?
>
>* What are the offending "outmoded approaches to lexical semantics"?
>Semantics are disputed just like every other inexact science, but when do
>they become "outmoded?" Is it a popularity issue?
>
>* Does anyone have any comment on "The Complete Biblical Library?"

This thread appears headed straight into the shoal waters of hermeneutics
and a discussion of theories of translation that are governed at least as
much by faith-perspectives and faith-commitments as by ways of
understanding the Greek text of the Bible. If it is to continue, I would
hope that people will keep the discussion focused on the Greek as much as
possible. The objection to interlinears, of course, is that hardly seem
likely to encourage learners to delve deeper into learning the original
languages.