Re: Chiasmus in Antiquity

From: Rodney J. Decker (rdecker@bbc.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 15 1999 - 07:50:16 EST

Re.: Welch, John, ed. *Chiasmus in Antiquity: Structures, Analyses,
Exegesis.* np, 1998.

When a book is recommended and classed as a "classic," my ears perk up if
I've not heard of it previously, esp. if a well-known name is associated
with it in some way (in this case, David Noel Freedman). So I've tried to
find some info on the recent chiasmus vol. recommended. I'm afraid that I
sometimes tend to be unduly skeptical, so I'd be interested in any further
info from anyone else on this title.

About all that I have found is that all the other works by the editor
listed on Amazon.com and via an AltaVista search are highly
sectarian--nearly 100 titles of books & articles. As a mater of fact, I
only found one reference to the book or editor that was not on a "Mormon"
site.

Publisher? (Even Amazon.com doesn't list a publisher, though there is an
ISBN.)

I have noted the f. blurb:
>John W. Welch earned a J.D. at Duke University after earning an M.A. in
>Classical Languages. A Woodrow Wilson fellow, he also studied at BYU and
>Oxford. He is professor of law at the J. Reuben Clark Law School as well as
>the editor-in-chief of BYU Studies. He was one of the editors of the
>Encyclopedia of Mormonism (1992). He has served as one of the directors of
>the BYU Religious Studies Center, as the initial general editor of the
>Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, and currently serves as the Biblical Law
>abstractor for the Jewish Law Annual (Brill).

Rod

Rodney J. Decker, Th.D. Baptist Bible Seminary
Dept. of NT P.O. Box 800, Clarks Summit, PA 18411
http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/
The *Resources for NT Study* page is accessible at:
http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/rd_rsrc.htm