Chiasmus in Antiquity

From: Kevin L. Barney (klbarney@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 17 1999 - 10:32:42 EST

Hi, Rod.

To answer your questions:

As I indicated in my prior post, it is true that John Welch, the editor of
the book, is Mormon (as am I). He has published extensively in both
sectarian and nonsectarian venues (Ugarit-Forschungen, for example). This
particular book is not a sectarian enterprise, as should be clear from the
participation of scholars of the caliber of Freedman, Porten and Radday.
It was originally published in Hildesheim by Gerstenberg in 1981. It has
been out of print for about 10 years, so it is being reprinted by the
Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies. The Foundation is
involved in both sectarian and nonsectarian projects. As far as I know,
the only change being made to the book is to update the bibliography from
1981 to 1998.

As I mentioned before, Welch does include a chapter on chiasmus in the Book
of Mormon in the volume, which one might view in sectarian terms (and which
one can easily skip if one is so inclined). Otherwise, the book builds on
the pioneering research on chiasmus by scholars at Chapel Hill, where Welch
studied.

Hope this helps.

Kevin L. Barney
Hoffman Estates, Illinois