Re: ALLON & hETERON Luke 7:19,20

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Mar 31 1999 - 18:17:44 EST

> At 11:25 AM -0800 3/31/99, clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:
>>In Luke 7:19,20 the manuscript evidence can be used in the service of
>>NT lexical semantics. The distinction between ALLON (another of the same
>>kind) and hETERON (another of a different kind) seems to have faded by
>>the NT period.
>
> I know that usage in the case of these is not the same in Koine as in
> Classical Attic, but there the difference is not what you've cited, Clay.
> Rather, the -TER- element in hETEROS means that hETEROS can only refer to a
> second of two items, whereas ALLOS means more generally "different."
>
> Carl W. Conrad

Carl,

The distinction between ALLON (another of the same kind) and hETERON
(another of a different kind) is from Fitzmyer (Luke AB, p667) who may
have borrowed it from Plummer (Luke ICC, page 202). Plummer accepts the
reading hETERON in verse 19 supported by Aleph B L R X against ALLON
supported by A B f1 f13 Maj.)

Ben Wrote:
> It doesn't seem to have faded away when Paul was writing to the Galatians:
>
> QAUMAZW hOTI hOUTWS TACEWS METATIQESQE APO TOU KALESANTOS hUMAS EN CARITI
> CRISTOU EIS *hETERON EUAGGELION, hO OUK ESTIN ALLO*, ktl (Gal 1:5-6).
>
> I remember as a schoolboy asking our Divinity teacher what that could
> possibly mean! I was doing Latin then, but not yet Greek; but even Latin
> didn't help. "...in aliud evangelium quod non est aliud..." (Vulgate).

Ben,

Plummer seems to agree with you on this and he cites Gal 1:5-6 in his
comments on Luke 7:19. However, Fitzmyer says "In this period of Greek
the two words were often used indiscriminately (see BDF #306)."

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point