Re: Acts 1:10

From: Daniel Ria–o (danielrr@mad.servicom.es)
Date: Thu May 13 1999 - 10:40:58 EDT

Carl W. Conrad wrote:

>But I don't think that the content of POREUOMENOU
>AUTOU is really temporal so much as it is explanatory of the reason why the
>disciples were gazing skywards (this despite my earlier endeavor to see it
>as a parallel temporal clause).

Do you mean that the reason why the disciples stood gazing at his
resurrected Master as he was leaving from them was the fact that he was
ascending to heaven, but they could have been looking anywhere else in case
Jesus had decided leaving the room by, say, just crossing the door?
Hmmmmmm, well, maybe that's just different interpretations, but in
POREUOMENOU AUTOU I just can perceive a temporal semantic value.

> hHYATO THS EMHS CEIROS POREUOMENOU (likewise "he touched my hand as
>I walked"). In this instance I think one would say that POREUOMENOU is
>genitive because it agrees with an EMOU implicit in the pronominal
>adjective EMHS. I know I've seen this in classical Attic, but I'm not sure
>I've ever seen it in Koine (which, of course, doesn't mean it isn't found
>there).

        The following (trivial) objection does not affect the main argument
of C. Conrad's posting, here omitted).
        I'd really like to see such a sentence in classical Attic, for my
own research. I could be completely wrong, but I thing that this
construction at least with such word order --with a verb like A(/PT,
governing the genitive-- is very improbable in classical Attic prose (not
in other dialects like Herodot's Ionic, or poetry or earlier Greek). My
objection is based on the fact that it is construed like a double object
sentence, and the double construction of the whole --POREUOME/NOU-- and the
part -- TH=S E)MH=S CEIRO/S-- is unknown of the classical Attic prose with
verbs in the active voice (the passive equivalent of the active
construction does appear and is well attested with verbs governing the
accusative). But if anybody know of an example, please do tell me!
        N.B.: You don't need to be shocked for the expression "double
object construction" applied to verbs governing cases different from the
accusative. You can find several examples in the lexica. I collected
several examples for my thesis I am afrait I don't have here at hand.