Advertising [was: web page searching

From: Nichael Lynn Cramer (nichael@sover.net)
Date: Sat May 15 1999 - 13:25:29 EDT

Hello Maurice

What you say is true, and this is good advice. However my intended point
was somewhat different.

My concern was not with the irritation felt by the reader. Rather that the
owners of the websites who use this service will find pages published
--effectively under the aegis of their website-- which contain
advertisements over which those owners have no control, and for products in
whose choice they had no say.

Now, one might argue that this is a reasonable fee to charge for this
service --after all the provider has to be getting something out of it.
However it is not correct to call it "free". (Or, rather, it is free only
in the --incorrect-- sense in which American television is said to be
"free" --presumably because the viewer does not pay a monthly free-- or, to
change focus slightly, that American public education is free, because
students do not pay a daily admissions fee.)

Nichael